Friday, September 13, 2013

29 Faces check-in #11, 12 and 13

Yay, I made it to face 13 on friday the 13th. Nearly halfway through the 29 faces in 30 days.

Though I must admit, I might have bitten off more than I can chew. So just in case it gets too much, I have some paintings and drawings from way back when standing by. Luckily that hasn't been necessary yet.


For face #11 I wanted to go bold and big and not sketchy at all.

So I took my paints to the book without making a sketch first.


Using brushes and my fingers to try and get her down on paper.


I think mostly she turned out alright.


And I like the brightness of the colors.


But I did have some trouble getting her into the book, because the spine of the book got in the way. Which in hindsight is rather funny, as you can see below.


I did make a video, but with me getting fairly frustrated with the spine and the distortion it gave me, I started painting standing up to create some distance between me and the book. This, however, caused my head to block quite a bit of the process. I'll see if I can still make it work and add the video to this post at a later time.

Faces #12 and 13 were painted in the same journal, rather smaller and quite different.


With face #12 I wanted to make a ghost image of the face that was already on the page of my altered book art journal. There was some leftover ink from a stencil on her face, making her look interesting. So I definitely wanted to keep her.


I sketched her in pen and then added some acrylic paint.


I wanted to keep things fairly simple and plain.


I kind of like this super imposed impression of her. So I wanted to repeat this style on the other side of the page.


I took another picture of a girl from the book, sketched and painted her the same way.


I do like the effect. They are not perfect, they are just impressions and I feel I should leave them be.

Especialy since I don't have time to keep fiddling with them. I have 2 books to make and I'm still fiddling with my home and work planner timetracking/ planning system.

I have adapted the chronodexspiraldex/ pingadex system ( and yes, I've tried them all) to something I feel works best for me and even named it =). I call it "MyDex". It's very simple, highly adaptable and it looks like this.

 


I made it on a pocket sized filofax template from Philofaxy and made it available for download should you be interested. If this works like I hope it will, I will adapt it to the Midori system as well.

I plan on using the inner ring and outer ring for time tracking and planning. The middle ring is actualy just there so I have room to make outward arrows from the inner ring. The outer ring, obviously doesn't need that. As my day usualy starts after 7, I made a thicker line there, so I know when to switch to the outer ring.

I also made an insert for my weekly to do list and menu and I made these also available for download. I used the same pocket sized filofax template from Philofaxy and it prints a menu list on one side of the paper and a weekly to do on the other side.


The downloads are word files and free for you to download and adapt any which way you like.

So yeah, I've been keeping busy. A bit too much maybe, with also going back to work, but so far so good.

I hope to finish the secret belgian binding book today and make a blogpost about that, so I can start on my next book for a Round Robin.

Thank you for watching and if you have any questions, please let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend.

Also linking this to:

26 comments:

  1. All terrific and dynamic works.
    Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic faces.. I like the first face especially ..that´s so expressive!!!and what a clever composition over the middle of the spread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lots of energy and fab color here-love the bold portarits!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great artworks! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique!! You are on my wavelength!! I have several draft blogs of old stuff in case, but so far I'm glad we are both battling through!
    I love their red hair and the layers. great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous colors and drama here. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE to download your "MY DEX" I have a blog http://www.fileohfever.blogspot.ca
    !!!

    Your faces are lovely, passionate and intense. Just magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What life and colour you have invested in these faces. I love the double spread one, even if the spine did get in the way and cause you frustration, she looks so strong and vivid! I love her hair. These faces seem to be becoming an amazing journey for you artistically! Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful and expressive. I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your faces are fabulous. You have tons of talent for that. Thanks for stopping by my blog too and leaving such a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat een kracht straalt ervan uit Monique, vooral de grote is zeer indrukwekkend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these ~ so bold and dynamic in their expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful work Monique! Fabulous faces full of expression. Love the way you use layers of colour and texture. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE number 11 just fabulous, the colors the hair the lips...oh my she is gorgeous!! I hope you post a video... 12 and 13 are beautiful too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow prachtige gezichten, fantastisch gedaan!
    Fijn weekend!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those bright colours you're using, and the faces look great. I know, I've participated in the 29 faces challenge before and it really IS a challenge. Not so easy to create a face a day. But you're doing great. Your time-tracking system looks interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful faces, Monique! And working without a sketch - I'm not even brave enough to try that, yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow they are amazing faces. I love the sketchy feel of them. Amazing style x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. The colors are so exciting and great style. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful pages with vibrant colours and fabulous texture

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful colors and interesting faces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful faces, love the vibrant colours, and all the details and layers. I especially like the face on the book cover, I think it's just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your faces and how you incorporated the spine of the book. It's also interesting to read how your creative process worked. I'm in a rut with just drawing and I need to spread out and try something different. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what I love about your faces is their variety...some are powerful, some are whimsical, some almost comical, all have great sentiment....beautiful work Monique

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, wow and another wow! I totally impressed of your faces, Monique! They are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...