Monday, November 18, 2013

NaNoWriMo, or how to procrastinate on a professional level

Last month I found out about a phenomenon called NaNoWriMo. I thought all month about joining, because I always wanted to write a book. I always figured I would do that someday. By the end of the month I realised, someday was never going to come. I would just have to bite the bullet or give up on the thought. I still was hesitant about writing 50000 words in a month though. So I only really joined on November the third. It has been a bit of an uphill struggle, so far, as I am forever trying to catch up, or so it seems. Yesterday I passed the halfway mark of 25000 words and I am actually really proud of myself and I feel my writing isn’t half bad. So yay to me.

I’m writing this though, not because I started writing a novel, but to show you what I did when I should have been writing my novel, my procrastination results so to speak...


I did not write a book, I made books and lots of them... It seems, I'm starting a collection.

these are all inserts for the Travelers Notebooks. I also made another template for the Midori Travelers Notebook Inserts (regular size).

This template is based on old school ledger paper and can be found on my free inserts page.


I also sold some Travelers Notebooks and was asked by Ray Blake to swap one of my mink oil tanned Travelers Notebooks with one of his Travelers Notebooks.


Soon I will be the proud owner of a green TN made by Ray Blake and I already made some inserts to go with the green.


And here are two I will be sending with the sold TN's.


So if you were wondering why I'm not writing as regularly as I used to, now you know. I am writing... though this time mostly in a manuscript for a SCI-FI/Fantasy novel. Working title so far, "Hidden in plain sight" and it is in English. Though I'm not entirely sure I should have done that. Dutch might have been easier, but then again, more people will be able to read it once it's finished when it's in English.

I won't go into the story of the book, as I'm not sure I know where it's going yet. Apparently I'm a discovery writer. I feel it keeps the story fresh and interesting for me and I enjoy writing it as much as I would reading it. Perhaps in a future blogpost I will post an exerpt from the book, so you can be the judge of my story telling abilities.

For now I think I have to stop procrastinating and get on with my book.

I wish you all a wonderfull week.

5 comments:

  1. Oh you were so busy .. and this is great..fantastic how they all look like...
    A great bookbinder you are!

    fabulous Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fantastic stuff you have made! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... making books (beautiful books) rather than writing a book - it's hardly a crime! Well done you on taking the plunge with the 50,000 words. My mother did it a few years back and enjoyed it hugely. Good luck with the second 25,000!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a big task! Well done, Monique. My daughter writes in the discovery mode, too. I think it makes it more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your encouraging words. I am having a lot of fun writing my story, but as usual fear I have bitten off more than I can chew... ah well, as long as I having fun, I will continue =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...